“Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.” — John Lennon
Ten months and counting… that is how long I have been unable to work, after owning my business and being busy running it for thirty years. Skincare has been my lifelong career and I really enjoy it… and miss it! For me, nothing beats the power of the human touch.
The prevailing emotions throughout this lockdown have been shock, disbelief and fear at the start, then determination to survive somehow. I’m sure, for many reading this blog, it has been a similar experience.
But I am also aware that for many others the pandemic has been a lot worse. While for some it may have brought opportunities and offered a better way forward.
As the saying goes “Same storm, different boats!”
I have experienced many moments of frustration, anger and helplessness. I didn’t always take the best care of myself. I didn’t reach out for support when I needed it. I wasn’t prepared for all the changes.
But as we are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, I reflect on where I am today, I count myself very fortunate on so many levels.
In the larger scope of things, I am in awe at the way the global health community has worked together to produce vaccines that will save so many lives. I feel so indebted to the doctors, nurses, frontline, and essential workers for their sacrifice and commitment to just keep going.
And I have come to appreciate the gift of time… the silver lining behind the COVID cloud. It has allowed me to do things that I love but could never find time to do more of, things like…
- Appreciating my health, never to be taken for granted.
- Reaching out to my wonderful clients who have made continual product purchases and regular calls to make sure me and my staff are okay.
- Write more, read more, and discover new tools to use in my treatment room for when we reopen the business.
- More networking, albeit virtually, to expand my business community.
- Daily/weekly chats with friends and family both here in the U.S. and abroad. The conversations have kept our spirits lifted and hopeful.
- Regular hikes and walks, in particular with one dear friend along with his dogs, who add to the joy. At the same time appreciate nature and the fresh air during the trek.
- Meditation and more rest.
All these activities have somehow helped me preserve myself during these trying times — physically, mentally, and spiritually. It’s no surprise that it has improved the appearance of my skin too.
Taking care of your skin goes beyond the products you use or the skin care routine you follow. Practicing self-care is vital to improve your appearance and keep you healthy and radiant, and skin mirrors that wellbeing.
Here’s a few self-care routines, I suggest adding to your day-to-day activities.
- Eat well — proper nutrition is essential for healthy skin.
- Pamper yourself — light a sweet-scented candle and take a long warm bath, focus on keeping your stress hormones in check. Too much stress makes your body produce hormones like cortisol that stimulate your oil glands to produce more oil making your skin more sensitive, reactive, and prone to breakouts and skin problems.
- Meditate — bring more peace into your body and mind. This restore balance to your skin.
- Exercise — moving your body every day increases lymphatic circulation, improves digestion, and delivers oxygen to your body. These all help your skin be healthy and radiant.
- Practice gratitude — Starting your day with gratitude will lower your stress, help you set intentions to love your skin and the way you look.
When I finally return to work full-time, I will keep doing these self-care routines.
And whatever the future holds, whatever challenges may present themselves, I am determined to make this last year’s lessons a road map to help enrich the journey, proceed with appreciation for everything and to help the less fortunate whose time has not been so kind.
For more wellness and skincare tips, check out my other blogs on Medium or call us at Skinsense Wellness at (323) 653–4701. We offer a virtual consultation, in-salon treatments, and home service facials to our valued clients.